FERMOY FLOOD PLAN TO START AFTER BUILDERS HOLIDAYS
The Office of Public Works have confirmed that a contractor has been appointed to construct the first phase of the €32m Fermoy Flood Relief Scheme, writes Joe Leogue.
Speaking to The Avondhu this week, a senior source within the Office of Public Works said that the contract for the works was officially placed last Friday with contractors Carillion Irish Enco Ltd, the firm currently overlooking a similar scheme in Ennis, Co Clare.
The €3.3m contract has been awarded for the first phase of the scheme to take place on the northern bank of the river Blackwater in the town. The OPW have said that no exact date has been set for the works, but that it is envisaged that the contractor will be on site sometime in August.
Earlier this week the Northern committee of Cork County Council was told that the long awaited works on a flood relief scheme is due to commence in August.
A progress report issued to councillors stated that tenders for the €32million scheme had been evaluated and a letter of intent has been sent to the favoured contractor who has submitted the relevant insurances and bonds.
With this framework in place, the report, dated July 8, said that the council was awaiting the go ahead from the Office of Public Works with a view to the first phase of the project getting underway next month.
Cllr Frank O’Flynn said that the people of Fermoy had experienced many delays in the implementation of the project, and that he would believe the works are to commence when ‘dozers are on site.’
Thursday 23rd July 6:59pm