Mitchelstown pub fire originated in bedroom
It is understood that the fire that broke out in the early hours of Monday morning at Willie Andies pub at New Square, Mitchelstown originated in an upstairs bedroom.
Two units from Mitchelstown Fire Brigade and two units from Fermoy Fire Brigade responded to the call at 2am and the fire was mainly confined to the front room of the living accommodation on the first floor.
A tenant from upstairs was the sole occupant in the building and he was taken to hospital and treated for smoke inhalation, but is believed to have recovered fully now.
A clip on Facebook shows a number of passers-by banging on the door trying to alert the occupants. It was the second fire at the premises in five years, though luckily not as serious as the fire in February 2009.
Eric Loke who captured the scene on video was one of the first on scene.
"The flames were unbelievable," he told The Avondhu.
"Thankfully nobody was seriously injured and I am very grateful for the help of the gardai under Sgt Paul Barry and Mitchelstown and Fermoy fire brigades under station officers, Micheal Carolan and Billy Bane and of course, the ambulance service for their help and co-operation," a relieved Billy English, the proprietor of the building told The Avondhu on Tuesday.
"The fire brigade was recalled at around 9am by the forensic specialist who was on the scene as there was a danger of the fire re-igniting," he said.
Billy also thanked the management and staff of Boyle's Sports for their help and co-operation.
Over the last few months, Willie Andies has seen a surge with parties and private functions, while the live music in the bar at the weekends has also been a great draw for crowds.
Manager of Willie Andies Tommy Collins told The Avondhu that there was no fire damage to the pub and they will be open by the weekend.
Friday 28th March 3:31pm