Historical Attractions in Santry
- Dublin 2, Co. Dublin
The building is the meeting place of Dáil Éireann and Seanad Éireann, the two houses of the Oireachtas, and as such the term 'Leinster House' has become a metonym for Irish political activities.
Leinster House, the former townhouse of the Dukes of Leinster. Since 1922, it has been the seat of both houses of the Irish parliament.
- O'Connell Street, Co. Dublin
The headquarters of the Irish postal service An Post, and Dublin's principal post office since 1818.
During the Easter Rising of 1916, the GPO served as the headquarters of the uprising's leaders. The assault by the British forces extensively damaged the building and it was not repaired until the Irish Free State government took up the task some years later.
- Christchurch, Co. Dublin
The elder of the city's two medieval cathedrals, the other being St. Patrick's Cathedral.
The cathedral was begun in 1038. It is officially claimed as the seat (cathedra) of both the Church of Ireland and Roman Catholic archbishops of Dublin. In practice it has been the cathedral of only the Church of Ireland Archbishop of Dublin, since the Irish Reformation.
- Off Dame Street, Co. Dublin
A major Irish governmental complex, formerly the fortified seat of British rule in Ireland until 1922. Most of the complex dates from the 18th century, though a castle has stood on the site since the days of King John, the first Lord of Ireland.
The Castle served as the seat of English, then later British government of Ireland under the Lordship of Ireland (1171).
The complex was ceremonially handed over to the newly formed Provisional Government led by Michael Collins.
- Kilmainham Jail, Dublin 8, Co. Dublin
- 01 453 5984
A former prison, which is run as a museum since the mid-1980s.
Built in 1796, Kilmainham Gaol was called the 'New Gaol' to distinguish it from the old jail it was intended to replace - a noisome dungeon, just a few hundred metres from the present site.
Over the 140 years it served as a prison, its cells held many of the most famous people involved in the campaign for Irish independence. The leaders of the 1916 Easter Rising were held and executed here.
Open for tours daily.
- Custom House Quay, Co. Dublin
18th century building located on the north bank of the River Liffey which now houses the Department of Environment, Heritage and Local Government.
As the port of Dublin moved further downriver, the building's original use for collecting custom duties became obsolete.
During the Anglo-Irish War in 1921, the Irish Republican Army burnt down the Custom House, in an attempt to disrupt British rule. After the Anglo-Irish Treaty, it was restored by the Irish Free State government.
- Kildare Street, Co. Dublin
- 01 677 7444
- 01 677 7450
Holds displays on prehistoric Ireland, including early work in gold, church treasures, the Viking and medieval periods, and more modern times. There are special displays of items from Egypt, Cyprus and the Roman world, and special exhibitions are regularly mounted.
Open Tuesday - Saturday: 10:00 - 17:00 | Sunday: 14:00 - 17:00
- Croke Park, St. Joseph's Avenue, Dublin 3, Co. Dublin
- 01 819 2323
The newly refurbished GAA Museum offers an unrivalled state-of-the-art interactive visitor experience!
The museum celebrates Ireland’s national games of hurling and Gaelic football. Test your own hurling and Gaelic football skills in the specially-designed interactive zone. See how fast you can react, check your passing skills and practice a fingertip save of the art of the high catch!
- Trinity College Dublin, College Green, Dublin 2, Co. Dublin
Illuminated manuscript in Latin, containing the four Gospels of the New Testament together with various prefatory texts and tables. It was transcribed by Celtic monks ca. 800. The illustrations and ornamentation of the Book of Kells surpass that of other Insular Gospels in extravagance and complexity. Today, it is on permanent display at the library of Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland.