ANGER AS FERMOY HOUSES BOARDED UP
Residents of a housing estate in Fermoy told The Avondhu this week that their area resembles Moyross following the recent boarding up of 10 houses there.
Former councillor, William Hughes told The Avondhu that he and the residents of St Mary’s Terrace wanted to object and express their anger at the manner in which the terrace has been downgraded by the boarding up of so many of the houses.
“We are mindful that this is sending out the wrong message. We also feel that it is offensive to the wonderful residents of the estate. We demand that immediate steps be taken to reverse this most unacceptable and disgusting situation.”
One of the residents told The Avondhu that he had moved out of one of the houses a few months previously, and it was perfectly habitable.
“There was nothing wrong with the house, no windows broken, yet Cllr Seamus Coleman had it and nine others boarded up. At a time when people are crying out for houses, the council wastes money on boarding up perfectly livable houses, it just beggars belief.”
William Hughes added that the residents wished to thank Thomas Cavanagh (IBAL) for supplying paint for the houses.
“It seems like a waste now, what was the point of having the houses painted when ten dwellings amongst them are now boarded up? It is such an eyesore and very sad for the people that live here.”
“We have a lovely estate and wonderful people living here. I have lived here all my life and I cried when they boarded up those houses. What must people think when they drive in here with the state those houses are left in. Why not put people in those houses and let them do them up themselves if they want to,” another resident told The Avondhu.
William Hughes told The Avondhu that a few years ago the residents of St Mary’s Terrace were promised that phase two would start and that money was in place at the time.
“They broke their contract with the residents as far as I’m concerned.”
The Avondhu spoke with Cllr Seamus Coleman to clarify why these houses had been boarded up.
“The reason that I made representation to the council to have these houses boarded up and made safe was because numerous residents contacted me complaining that people were getting into the houses, and they wanted them made safe.
"Therefore, with the support of all the councillors, the way forward was to board these houses up for health and safety reasons. There is no money there for phase two, there never was. There was a promise of money when phase one was completed, but this money was promised by a Fianna Fail government, and that promise was broken.”
Cllr Coleman continued to say that he had the utmost sympathy for the residents and added that he would urge them to contact him directly if they wanted any further clarification.
Thursday 25th November 5:39pm