FERMOY WOMAN HOMELESS AFTER FIRE
Patricia MacSweeney experienced many people’s worst nightmare last weekend; waking up to find her home in flames. The Fermoy local’s council house was ravaged by a fire that started in the hot press and spread rapidly throughout the property.
Despite waking up to her home in ruins, Patricia counts herself lucky to be alive.
Patricia told The Avondhu: “I was woken up by a car and then I heard a crackling sound. I thought I was imagining things so I went back to sleep. Shortly afterwards the sound increased and then I realised it was a fire. I started to panic and called the emergency services straight away. If that car hadn’t woken me, God knows what would have happened.”
Patricia was loud in her praise for the emergency services. “The gardai and the fire brigade arrived within ten minutes of the blaze starting,” she said.
Patricia, who lives with her two sons in Cluain Ard, is also thankful that her boys were not present on the night of the fire.
“My room is close to the hot press but my sons’ room is right next to it. They would have been seriously injured if they were sleeping in the room.”
Patricia, who is currently living with her sister, hopes the council can arrange some form of temporary accommodation.
“I need as much help as possible from local politicians as I’m currently homeless. I just want a roof over my head.”
Friday 23rd April 1:40pm