PLANNING PERMISSION GRANTED FOR NEW SCHOOL IN RATHCORMAC
Cork County Council has given the go ahead to a planning application for a new school incorporating 12 classrooms in Rathcormac.
The original school, which was built in 1948 increased its number of portacabins on the site to ten in 2010, at a cost of €100,000 per cabin. These structures are far from ideal for both students and teachers due to problems related to temperature regulation, space, storage, noise, cost and health and safety reasons.
School principal, Margaret Howard was delighted with the news. Speaking to The Avondhu she commented that they have been on this mission since 2000.
“The portacabins should have been a temporary solution and they cost a lot of money. I am delighted that the money will now be put to better use and I look forward to seeing the diggers arrive to commence work on our new school.”
Cllr Kevin O’Keeffe welcomed the decision and said that he hoped it would now progress to the next stage of construction.
“This has been on the list for the past number of years so it is great news for pupils and parents. Now we await the Department of Education to releasing funding so this can go ahead without any further delays.”
FULL STEAM AHEAD
Cllr Frank O Flynn concurred and added that it was now full steam ahead for the new school: “This is wonderful news for the pupils, parents and teachers who have suffered for many years. In this day and age it’s only right that there are proper teaching facilities in place. Portacabins do not allow for proper education.”
TD Sean Sherlock said that this is a “step in the right direction for staff and pupils of the existing school who have endured substandard educational facilities for far too long. There is great credit due to the local community who campaigned tirelessly to progress the project and I will do my bit to ensure works commence on the new building within a reasonable timeframe.
"We have to ensure we do not repeat the mistakes made in Rathcormac where planning permission was granted for hundreds of homes without adequate provision for the relevant infrastructure or essential services.”
The Department of Education and Science purchased the site where the new school is to be built in 2006.The application was given the green light last year by the Minister for Education, however it was held up due to issues with rights of way.
The new primary school will consist of 12 classrooms, complete with playing areas, car-parking facilities, site access, a storm water attenuation system, grey water system and associated site works.
Thursday 3rd March 5:34pm