SEWAGE PRIVATISATION PUT ON THE BACK BURNER
Cork County Council have put plans to privatise the sewage treatment plant in Fermoy on hold due to the current uncertainty of the economy, a spokesperson for the local authority said this week.
Last week The Avondhu revealed that discussions had taken place with a view to a possible privatisation of the plant in Fermoy, along with two other plants in Cork, believed to be at Mallow and Blarney.
“We were looking at tendering the operation and maintenance of the Fermoy sewage scheme,” the spokesperson explained, adding that discussions had taken place with relevant unions on the matter.
“However these plans will have to be reassessed considering the current economic climate and at the moment no decisions have been made.”
Fermoy town Councillor Seamus Coleman said he welcomed the decision to halt the process, and hoped the reassessment meant the plan ‘will never come before us again.’ “I spoke to workers recently and they told me the move was fait accompli,” the Sinn Fein councillor said this week.
“I would worry about any privatisation of the sewage. These companies will have it written into their contracts that any major problems that could arise won’t be their problem; that it would be passed onto the customer which in this case would be the homes and businesses of Fermoy,” Cllr Coleman said.
“The private companies operate for a profit and will not take a hit on those profits, they will see to it that they won’t lose out. At least with a council running the operation any extra costs can be absorbed into the overall maintenance budget. The private companies look for profit first and that is not good for the country. People have a right to running water and sewage,” he concluded.
Thursday 30th October 5:44pm