SUB STANDARD CONCRETE USED ON FLOOD SCHEME
Residents and businesses in Fermoy will, it seems, be forced to endure the sounds of drilling and further disruption in the coming weeks. The Office of Public Works (OPW) contractor, Carillion Irishenco last week uncovered an engineering concern in relation to the long term durability of the concrete used in a small section of the €33 million Fermoy flood prevention project. The issue was discovered as part of routine quality control measures being undertaken.
Extensive engineering inspections and tests have been carried out and an engineering solution has been developed with all relevant parties to the project.
Replacement works are scheduled to commence on this Friday, July 9. Unfortunately, these works will necessitate an extension to the time required to complete the works on the R639/N72 North of Fermoy Bridge. It is anticipated that the works will be completed by the end of the month.
While the added disruption will be kept to an absolute minimum, the OPW is adamant that the quality and integrity of the scheme works is paramount to Fermoy town.
Carillion Irishenco have apologised for any inconvenience caused and ask for the continued co operation of locals while the final sections of the works are completed.
The Avondhu spoke with Fermoy town Mayor, Cllr Pa O’Driscoll on the recent events: “At the end of the day it is better that Carillion held their hands up rather than, say, in 5 years time when the walls could have come down in a flood. I have to commend them on their honesty and their continuous co operation at this time.
"I do feel for the local businesses of course, and I will support them if they want to seek compensation from the OPW. It is important that we look to the future and businesses long term will prosper. We will have a flood plan in place so will no longer have to worry about flood damage.”
Councillors Noel McCarthy and Tadhg O’Donovan are putting forward a joint motion in the next council meeting to the affect that ‘business people affected by this get some form of a rebate in their rates or compensation from the OPW’.
Cllr O’Donovan told The Avondhu, “A level of trust has been broken between the community and the contractor and there should be some sort of compensation based on the length of time it takes the contractor to correct this error. This would incentivise the contractor to expedite the work needed to be done.”
Both councillors agreed however that the contractor has been honest enough to admit the error which allows it be resolved without further delay.
Cllr Frank O’Flynn told The Avondhu: “I compliment Ger Barry and the OPW for their quality control system which picked up the problem and for being upfront in making it public. We are lucky it has been found now in the interests of health and safety. However, I am appealing to the contractors to carry out the work ASAP and to maintain a two way system to allow traffic to flow freely.”
“The business people of Fermoy have suffered a lot but, on a positive note, we will have a top class flood system in place.”
Friday 9th July 3:30pm