UP TO 50 JOBS TO GO AT CAPPOQUIN CHICKENS
Between 40 and 50 jobs are to be lost at the Cappoquin Chicken plant following instructions from Bank of Ireland to restructure or face closure. SIPTU branch secretary Davey Lane told The Avondhu that workers at the plant had received letters 10 days ago advising them that 40 redundancies would be sought and that staff would be called to a meeting.
“No meeting has been called, and staff are currently in limbo, as no one knows what is going on.”
Mr Lane added that up to 50 jobs would be lost, all compulsory, and that the bank had told management that it was either that or they would be closed down.
“There are around 100 people employed, and if half of them go then production will drop by a half. There is going to be a devastating knock-on affect for producers, local haulage companies etc. And, I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of the staff being re-employed at the new minimum wage. Nothing would surprise me.”
Cappoquin based councillor Nora Flynn told The Avondhu that this is very bad news for the area with over a third of the staff coming from local area.
“Being a rural area, Cappoquin Chickens would be the biggest employer so this will affect a lot of families.”
The plant was purchased in 2008 by its currents owners, Mr Perwaiz Latif and Mr Zahid Hussain who own the successful Derby Poultry Ltd in Britain.
The two men hold a 65% share, with former owners, Paul and Michael O’Connor and former Cappoquin Chickens accountant, Tom Vaughan, holding the remaining 35% between them.
Thursday 3rd February 5:20pm