FULL IRISH BACK ON THE MENU IN MITCHELSTOWN
Mitchelstown is back in business after last week’s pork recall that left many farmers and consumers worried about the future. With the processors now working at full capacity, farmers are once again sending pigs for slaughter.
One Mitchelstown pig farmer, who did not feed his animals the contaminated feed told The Avondhu, “We are back in operation again but it was touch and go there for a while, I just hope we can once again build up the reputation we had with the consumers both at home and abroad.”
At Hodgins Sausages in Mitchelstown production is now back on track, “We are back in business and using 100% Irish pork and our customers can have full confidence in our products,” Mervin Hodgins told The Avondhu.
Mr Hodgins hopes that the industry has learned from the pork recall last week. “We need to be sure that all animal feed is of the highest possible standard. I also think that there should be stricter controls, these are needed to ensure that nothing like this can ever happen again,” he said.
Local butcher Timmy Considine is very busy taking orders for Christmas hams, “We make all our own puddings and are up and running for the Christmas season. Customer confidence doesn’t seem to have been badly affected. I do think that the Government handled the whole situation very badly and I hope we can now get on with selling good Irish pork,” Mr Considine said.
Friday 19th December 1:54pm