Mitchelstown Convent owner could face legal action
The owner of Mitchelstown convent could face a fine or imprisonment if they fail to carry out works ordered by Cork County Council to make the site safe.
At a Northern Committee meeting this week, Cllr Frank O'Flynn called for an up to date progress report on the convent, saying that the building should be made safe and the structure should be protected in the interest of health and safety.
The site was deemed to be derelict by the council earlier this year and under the Derelict Sites Act 1990, two notices which got no response were served in July and a third order was served on September 13. The owners now have six weeks to carry out works to make it safe and if they fail to do so by October 27, the owners could face legal action.
Executive engineer, John O'Dell told the councillors that they hope to get a reply, but if not, they can then put a derelict site levy on the convent, which would be 3% of the market value, charged annually.
Cllr Kevin O'Keeffe described the convent in its current state as being 'a disgrace' as it has been left dilapidated, while Cllr Noel McCarthy said that the owners should pay some sort of fine, so that they would have to take responsibility.
The convent has been a bone of contention in the town for some time, as it has been falling further and further into derelection and people have been calling for it to be protected, preserved and made safe.
In light of two fires this year at the gate lodge inside the convent gates, there have also been calls to make the site safer.
Thursday 19th September 7:36pm